Cougars Crush Blazers 9-4

Tierney Watkinson | Contributor
The PG Cougars dominated over the Kamloops Blazers, claiming a 9-4 victory in their January 22 game.
The Cougars started strong, with Jansen Harkins scoring his twelfth goal of the season at 6:17 into the first period.
During the second period, the tables seemed to turn as the Cougars had a hard time keeping the puck out of their end. Just 24 seconds in, Devon Sideroff of the Kamloops Blazers got one past Cougars goalie Ty Edmonds, tying the game. The Blazers’ Garrett Philon scored another just minutes later, at 6:57.
The Blazers held the lead for mere seconds—at 7:07, Shane Collins tied the game again for the Cougars. While the Blazers were on their third power play of the night, Brogan O’Brien brought the Cougars back into the lead at 11:05.
The play began to turn nasty after Cougar Jesse Gabrielle crashed into Blazers goalie Connor Ingram, almost immediately following O’Brien’s goal. Ingram hit the ice, losing his helmet, and stayed down. He had to be helped off the ice and was replaced by Dylan Ferguson. Gabrielle received a penalty for goalie interference.
Less than thirty seconds into their power play, Kamloops Blazer Gage Quinney brought the score to 3-3.
The crowd went wild as the Cougars retaliated in the last minute of the second period with two goals, scored within seconds of each other by Jansen Harkins and Colby McAuley.
The Cougars entered third period with a lead of 5-3.
A minute into the third, Matt Revel scores to shorten the Cougars’ lead to just 1.
But the Cougars could not be caught. Chase Witalia scored his 28th goal of the season at 10:28. Less than a minute later, Colby McAuley brought the Cougars to a 7-3 lead with his second goal of the night.
With 3:07 left on the clock, Bartek Bison scored the Cougars’ eighth goal.
Spurred on by the mounting tension between the two teams, the Cougars’ Kolby Johnson and Blazer Jermaine Loewen dropped the gloves and fought until they lost their footing and the refs intervened. With a little over two minutes left in the third, both received five minutes for fighting.
Even leading 8-3, the PG Cougars weren’t done yet—on a power play, Joel Lakusta scored the final goal of the night, and his first ever as a WHL player, with just 38.8 seconds left to go in the third period.
It goes to show how rough the game was getting that as the final buzzer went, the crowd went wild but a couple of the players began another fight. It was quickly broken up, and the Cougars celebrated as the Blazers retreated to their locker room.
The Prince George Cougars face off again with the Kamloops Blazers in a rematch tonight, January 23.